Thursday, March 13, 2014

Get to Know Us - Melanie Flavin


This month’s “Get to Know Us” focuses on Travel & Adventure Show Director Melanie Flavin.

What is your best travel memory/best trip you have ever taken?
This is a hard question for me as every trip and the memories that I’ve made are all equal – even if the experiences may have been vastly different.  My first taste of travel was at the young age of three when my Mom and I traveled through Europe for a month.   While I don’t remember much of the details, I know that this trip shaped who I am.   As a kid I dreamt about going to faraway places, and, once I could afford it, I made travel a priority.  I’ve been lucky to have traveled to over 7 countries and 20 U.S. states.


What was/were the standout moment(s) from that trip?
I just can’t pick one… travel has changed me, surprised me, affected by senses and has offered me new perspectives, so I’ve compiled just a few of my standout moments:

  • Our summer house in LICKBARAHAN, Beara Peninsula, Ireland.  There is no phone, no TV, no internet.  When we fish off the rocks on Bantry Bay, I feel as close to peace and my inner thoughts as I believe is possible.  And, it isn’t all Zen, I’ve been known to frequent our favorite local pub for a few pints and craic.
  • The wave of intense emotion I felt at Omaha Beach in Normandy.  The gravity of what happened there, the rows and rows of crosses, I will never forget.   Not to mention the sign on the trail that led down to the Omaha beach that warned “Wild Boar:  Walk at Your Own Risk.”  WHAT!?!  We risked it.
  • Instead of taking a boat tour with other tourists in Venice, I boarded a Vaparetto (Venice’s water version of a subway) filled with locals commuting to work.  I realized that no matter where you live…commuting is commuting, except it felt far more civilized on a boat.
  • Seeing my kids make it to the top of Bubble Rock Mountain in Acadia National Park, Maine.  They couldn’t believe how high they’d climbed and watching their faces light up as we got to the top will stay with me always.
  • Eating Lemon Risotto in Positano, Italy … truly, love at first bite.
  • My first time kayaking in Bar Harbor, Maine.  The scenery (and the quiet) was breathtaking…I found myself drifting from the group as I was taking it all in.
  • Sitting in a New Orleans bar (far off Bourbon St) listening to a local band, I realized I really love places that are unique, a bit gritty, imperfect, and a tad mysterious.


Where do you hope to go in the future and why?  
I WILL go to Africa, Spain and South America some day.  I want to get lost in the culture, wine and food. 

Why do you believe in the Travel & Adventure Show Series?
I believe in these shows because we bring together thousands of travelers who are in the market to purchase travel and connect them with the destinations, resorts and tour operators who can take them on their next journey.   In my marketing role, I receive direct attendee feedback frequently.  Of course my favorite comment is “we booked our next vacation at your show.”  But my very close second favorite comment is when they say “we discovered a new destination that we hadn’t even considered for our next vacation.”  Why do I love this one?   It’s simple.  It proves the shows play an integral part in effecting someone’s travel decisions (both short and long term) simply because of the connection and conversation that occurs between an attendee and local destination expert.  There is no other form of selling that can match this personal and customized approach.


No comments:

Post a Comment