Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Get to Know Us

This month's edition of "Get to Know Us" focuses on Jonathan Golicz, the Travel & Adventure Show Community Marketing Manager.

Your Best Family Vacation


I've been very fortunate to be able to say that I've gone on some pretty epic vacations in my life. But the one trip that stands out more than the rest is definitely a two week Europe vacation with my parents, sister and brother. We spent the first 4 days in London before hopping on the Eurostar (the train that goes through the Chunnel) and spent over a week in France, primarily in Paris. From Buckingham Palace to the Natural History Museum to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Tower of London and the Champagne Caves, we saw it all.

Each day was more amazing than the one before it and some of the things that I learned and experienced will not only stay with me for the rest of my life, but also shaped the way that I travel and changed what I look for in traveling.


Best Travel Memory
My best travel memory would have to be from the same trip. We were walking back from one of the cathedrals in Paris one afternoon and I just happened to look up into the sky. The sun was warm, the breeze was light but was doing just enough to keep me from being too hot. The blue of the sky and the white of the clouds against the color of the buildings stopped me dead in my tracks while all 5 of my sense were taking everything in at maximum capacity. The air was filled with the smell of freshly baked baguettes and buttery French cuisine and there was a quite buzz from the sound of cars passing and people walking and talking. It was mesmerizing and to this day whenever I zone out, that's where my mind takes me. Since then, whenever I travel, I try to do the same thing at least once during the trip. 


Where Do You Hope to Go in the Future and Why?
If I could pick one place to go in the future, it would be Italy. When I was int he 5th grade, my grandfather took our whole family there and we stayed in an amazing private villa located on a vineyard in Tuscany. Although I remember bits and pieces, such as breaking into the private and "secret" wine cellar, to seeing the Coliseum, realizing that I loved chocolate gelato and being unbelievably afraid that the gypsies would steal me, I don't feel like I had the opportunity to really experience the culture and everything that comes with it. Between the food, the wine and the history, I think that Italy would be the perfect dream vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment